A preliminary hearing has been set for Friday for a convicted sex offender arrested Aug. 27 at his Nelsonville home on charges of kidnapping.

Richard Adams, 55, is accused of detaining a 9-year-old boy in his home in order to engage in sexual activity. Acting Nelsonville Police Chief Mike Perez said that the alleged offense took place within the past week but he would not comment on how long the boy had allegedly been detained.

At Adams' initial county Municipal Court hearing on Monday, Judge Douglas Bennett set bond at $50,000; Adams is currently being held at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail in Nelsonville.

Nelsonville police executed a search warrant at Adams' residence on Aug. 24 based on separate allegations made by a 13-year-old boy that Adams had taken photos of him and had attempted to engage in sexual activity with him. Perez said items seized in the search, including video tapes and computer equipment, are still being reviewed.

No charges had been filed against Adams in regard to the 13-year-old as of Wednesday morning, although Perez said Monday that charges may be pending. Perez said additional charges might also be filed in the case of the 9-year-old.

Adams, a former Boy Scout leader and youth basketball coach in Nelsonville, was convicted in 1989 for gross sexual imposition involving a minor and served time in prison. He is not currently on parole.

Load comments